Did you know that sleep apnea is a disorder that occurs when individuals have interrupted breathing patterns while they sleep? There are two major forms of sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea is the result of broken signals being sent from the brain to the muscles that are not received. Obstructive sleep apnea is the result of a blocked airway while you sleep.
Developing sleep apnea takes many forms. Listed below are a few of the hidden risks of developing sleep apnea:
– Men are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea than women are.
– Individuals who have a deviated septum or any form of nasal blockage or obstruction are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Although there are many causes of sleep apnea disorder, you could be at a greater risk for the disorder based on your family history and genetic code.
– Sleep apnea can be present at younger ages, but it is most often found in individuals over 40.
– Depending on the type of allergies you suffer from, you may be at an increased risk for sleep apnea. Sinus problems also increase your risk for sleep apnea.
– You are at a greater risk for develop sleep apnea disorder if you have a very small jaw, have large tonsils, or even if your tongue is abnormally large.
If you are in need of a sleep apnea treatment from our team at Dr. Kent Stapley & Dr. Nathan Kitchen at our dentist office in Mesa, Arizona, please contact us at 480-830-8946 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kent Stapley or Dr. Nathan Kitchen. The path to a healthy smile starts today!